Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Chapter 5: Almost Did Not Make It

About 10 days before Thanksgiving in 2011, I ended up in the ER at UC Irvine Medical Center and this time, it was bad enough that they admitted me.   I was put on high dosages of Steroids in addition to a cocktail of other medications.   Best of all, I was also put on high dosages of morphine.   After an initial dosage of 250Mg of steroids, I was taking 160 Mg everyday at the hospital.   I was also getting IVIG treatment.   UCI Medical Center is a teaching university so I was pretty popular.   Most physicians had not seen PV and so everyone was visiting me.  And I was so high on the meds, that I welcomed it.   I was not sleeping much at all - after all I had a business to run.  I was not sleeping for more than 3 hours a day.  Just could not sleep. I was on watch 24 hours... as the concern was that my throat would swell up and cause suffocation.   I felt like the darn PV was in my throat so it probably was.

I still clearly remember how I had 2 laptops and 1 samsung tablet and my smartphone beside me at all times.  The nurses, the physician and the staff was just amazing.  My family was amazing.  They endured all of this with me, supported me and suffered through my maniac mental conditions.   I do remember my three kiddos visiting me - it was very hard for them - the oldest was 11, next was 6 and the youngest was only three.  They put on a brave front but I could tell that they were terrified.  My mom and my sister comforted them while they looked around my surroundings - medical equipment with beeps and cables - me laying on the bed - hair all wild and my face was still pretty messed up - hard to describe but let’s just say zombie like. 

Yes, the combination of steroids, morphine and other pain medication and the other meds for my PV was clearly having a HUGE impact on my MENTAL HEALTH.   I did not trust anyone including family members.  

My condition did not improve after the first 24 hours.  I was not able to eat - it was all Ensure.  100% I was having seven 320 Calorie version a day.  

By the 2nd and 3rd days, there was some improvement on my face, my throat but my anal area was still crazy painful.... yes, I would scream in the middle of the night and the bathroom was always full of blood and no poop.   I was pooping blood!  My hemoglobin levels were too low... like 7-8 and the physicians wanted to do a blood transfusion... and I said NO!  

COLONOSCOPY time!   What????  Hmmm.... I don't know about this crap!  I don't think so!!!! is what I said... of course my physicians convinced me that they wanted to make sure I did not have any other potential cancerous conditions up my butt!  Hmm.... fine... but you will have to put me under!

The next day, I am wheeled off to the "procedure room" ....  it was kinda funny because since the room was other end of the hospital, they had to get an Ambulance to transport me.   Haha.... I thought that was a blast!  Wheeeeee.....  yes, I was still high and guess what?  for my book, I will have pictures!  :)   

Mr CEO, Mr. CEO..... Mr.CEO!   Wake up!!!!  Wake up!!!!
That's what I heard and when I opened my eye, there were 4-5 nurses trying to wake me up.  I suppose my body was happy to sleep and did not want to wake up for more than 3 hours.  

Good news!  No cancer found!  Check!

Now what? Can I just go home already????  I guess not - :(

No comments:

Post a Comment